Trademark Law Legal basis is the Law on Protection of Rights to Trademarks and Service marks of December 23, 1993, in force since July 1, 1994, last amended April 9, 2015. Ukraine is a member of the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol.
Trademark registration classification:
- Name, nationality, profession and address of the applicant.
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number).
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- The details of goods and/or services for which the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- A notarized Power of Attorney.
- A priority document, if priority is to be claimed.
- A trademark application has to be filed before the Patent Office (Ukr patent) by a local agent.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks.
- Simultaneously with the registration, the trademark is published in the Official Gazette.
- The opposition period is the whole period of application examination process but not later than 5 days before the grant decision date.
- It takes approximately 18-24 months from first filing to registration.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration in Ukraine is valid for 10 years and starts with registration date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.