Sweden Trademarks Act came into force (2010:1877) July 1, 2011.Enacted on December 9, 2010. Sweden is a member of the Madrid Protocol and the European Union. Trademark protection is obtained by registration. It can also be acquired by sufficient public recognition.
Trademark registration classification:
- Information about the applicant- applicant’s name, address, entity type, citizenship of the person or the jurisdiction which governs the organization of the specific entity.
- Name of the trade mark and one copy of the mark (unless mark is word only).
- class(es) and specification of goods and/or services .
- A non-legalized power of attorney is sufficient.
- A trademark application has to be filed before the Patent Office by a local agent.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks, company names and family names.
- In case that the examiner accept the trademark,he gives the approval for publication of the mark in the Swedish designation of the International Registration.
- After registration, the trademark is published in the “Svensk Varumärkestidning”. The opposition period is 2 months from publication date of the application.
- It takes approximately 3-6 months from first filing to registration.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration in Sweden is valid for 10 years and starts with registration date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.