Legal basis is the Industrial Property Code enacted by Decree No. 47/2015 of December 31, into force on March 30, 2016.
Trademark registration classification:
- Full name, address and signature of applicant.
- Trade name proposed to be used
- The class of goods or services listed in application.
- A power of attorney, duly signed by the legal representatives of the applicant,translated to Portuguese and certified by a Notary Public is necessary.
- Priority document (if applicable), with a verified Portuguese translation.
- The application is filed at the Industrial Property Institute (IPI) in Maputo.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks.
- After a formal examination at the IPI, your trademark will be published to allow third parties to oppose it if they believe that your mark infringes on theirs.
- The opposition period in Mozambique is 2 months after publication. You will receive status updates as soon as your mark is published and will be notified of any actions taken by the IPI.
- If no oppositions arise and your trademark is registered and the certificate is issued.
- It takes approximately 18- 24 months in Mozambique to file and receive a trademark certificate of registration.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration is valid for 10 years from date of application.The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.