Legal basis is the law of December 12th, 1996, and the decree of April 1st, 1997.Liechtenstein is a member of the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol. Trademark protection is obtained by registration. It can also be acquired by sufficient public recognition.
Trademark registration classification:
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number).
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- The details of goods and/or services for witch the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- non-legalized power of attorney
- priority document, if applicable
- Information related to the previously filed trademarks, in order to benefit of the priority date, if it is the case. In case that priority is claimed, the certified copy of the priority document will be filed simultaneously with the application.
- The trademark applications in Liechtenstein are to be filed at the Office for Economics.
- The application process includes a formal examination and an examination of distinctiveness, but no search for prior trademarks. The trademark is registered when there is no refusal on absolute grounds.
- After registration, the trademark is published in the journals “Liechtensteiner Vaterland” and “Liechtensteiner Volksblatt”.
- It takes approximately 4-6 months from first filing to registration