Legal basis for trademark law is the Law of Kyrgyz Republic “On trademarks, service marks and appellations on places of origin of goods” of January 14, 1998, last amended February 11, 2014.Kyrgyzstan is a member of the Madrid Agreement since December 25, 1991 and the Madrid Protocol since June 17, 2004. It is also a member to Paris Convention since December 25, 1991 and Nice Agreement since December 10, 1998.
Trademark registration classification:
- Full name and address of the applicant;
- Image of the trade mark in JPEG format;
- Description of the mark in case if its special meaning is unknown to the attorney;
- The list of goods and (or) services for which the trademark registration is demanded;
- POA signed by applicant. Notarization or Legalization is not required.
- A contract of patent services;
- A priority document, if priority is to be claimed.
- The application is filed at the Patent Office of the Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyzpatent) for registration of trademark.
- The application process includes a formal examination, and substantial examination (absolute and relative grounds).
- After registration, the trademark is published in the Official Bulletin.
- The procedure for obtaining Trademark registration in Kyrgyzstan is full examination of the Application without opposition period.
- There is no opposition system, in other words an application is not published for opposition purposes. After the mark grants the protection and the registration certificate is issued, the mark details are published in the Official Bulletin, and it may be opposed by any person before the Board of Appeal.
- The processing time from first filing to registration is approx. from 12 to 17 months.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration is valid for 10 years from date of application.The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.